As with any custom training, defining the best solution involves consciously making tradeoffs between the nature and scope of the training and the costs involved. In addition to the normal price drivers for custom training solutions, the following factors specific to software application training will play an important part in this calculation:
- The amount of domain or business knowledge on which the participants must be trained (e.g., a debit is … a credit is …)
- The degree of complexity inherent in the software application
- The size of the software application
- The stability of the software application
- The level of user ability
- The desired level of interactivity
- How Software Training is Built
Software training solution developments follow our standard development process with a few tweaks:
- We make sure that we understand the domain or business knowledge that also must be communicated in the training.
- We locate and leverage any existing training materials or technical documentation on the application.
- We make sure we know the skills that are necessary to run the application, the skill gap level of the potential audience, the receptivity to various learning strategies, and any location or department customization needs.
- We sit with the application itself and with your technical liaisons and subject matter experts to ensure that we understand and can use the application the way it was intended.
- We construct useful job aids.
- We rely on your technical liaisons and subject matter experts at each key decision point in the Rigorous Project Management process to validate the technical accuracy of the material and pay particular attention to testing any interactive simulations.